Heart-Warming Green Risotto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (180g) brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 (430g) cups arborio rice
- 150g frozen spinach
- 1375-1500ml salt-reduced vegetable stock or broth
- 300g frozen peas
- 150g (1 small head) broccoli, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup parmesan or 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast for a vegan option
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs of choice such as dill or parsley, finely chopped to serve
- sea salt and black pepper
Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic, cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
After this, add arborio rice and cook a further 2-3 minutes, until rice is lightly golden, stirring frequently (it’s all about a good stir with risotto!)
Add frozen spinach and 1 cup stock, stir and allow the rice to absorb most of the stock before adding the next cup, repeat until about 1L of stock is used, always stir frequently to stop the rice sticking to the base of the pot.
Add peas, broccoli and lemon zest and about 300ml stock (there is more in ingredient list in case you find yours evaporates too quickly and you need a little extra), stir and cook until peas are defrosted and tender, if you need a touch more stock to loosen it at this stage, then add.
Then you can remove the dish from the heat, stir through parmesan or nutritional yeast, season with sea salt and black pepper and serve with your choice of herbs and a crunchy green salad. You can make this a side dish of course to any protein you might like to serve it with such as grilled fish. It’s super healthy and delicious!
Jacqueline Alwill is an accredited nutritionist, author, and mum. Brittany Darling is an accredited nutritionist/herbalist. You can find Jacqueline online at thebrownpaperbag.com.au. While you’re here, check out Jacqueline’s and Brittany’s recipe for a healthy, immune-boosting miso carrot corn and sweet potato soup.